“The submission of one’s will is really the only uniquely personal thing we have to place on God’s altar. The many other things we ‘give’ … are actually the things He has already given or loaned to us.”
~Elder Neal A. Maxwell~

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Flashback Father's Day

So I'm a little late with the Father's Day post, but better late than never huh? I thought I would write just a bit about each of the Father's (or soon-to-be-Father's) in my life.



This first pic is of Shayne fishing with his little brother Dallan. This says a lot about Shayne's personality that he doesn't often let many people see. He loves to be with his family, and loves to help others, and loves to fish...so in this picture, there is no other place he'd rather be at that moment than where he is. I have no doubts he is going to be an incredible father. He's WAY more patient than me, and is incredibly sensitive and understanding. I can't wait to see him with his own son.




This is me with my dad, Van. I think it's the cutest picture b/c I'm just staring at him, and you can see how much my dad loves me by how he's looking back at me. I am his first child, and his little girl. He's always told me he wanted a little girl first. My dad is a great example of standing up for what you believe in, following the spirit, and not caring what other people think. He's always had a strong testimony of the gospel, and has never been afraid to share that with his family. He's taught me most everything I know about horses, which has been something I've been passionate about my whole life. My dad is extremely proud of us kids, which is a good feeling. In fact you want to see my dad tear up, just ask about his kids...or say something good about one of his kids. I loved that he was always available to give me a blessing when I needed it, and I received many as I was going through the medical issues I had. He's been very understanding of the struggles I've had in my life, and has always supported and loved me. He's been a great dad and friend! I love you dad!!




This is Shayne with his dad, Dana. I love this picture b/c of the way Shayne has his hand on his dad's shoulder...it just says volumes about their relationship. Shayne is Dana's first child as well, and they have always been close. Shayne and his dad are best buddies. Shayne has always talked about his dad with admiration and respect. When Shayne was getting ready to have surgery, Dana quit his job for awhile in order to make sure he spent quality time with a son that might not survive the surgery. As a result, they have a pretty close bond. They have some great stories together. Dana never had a problem taking Shayne fishing, or to basketball, or to baseball, or to whatever Shayne needed/wanted to do. He also taught Shayne the value of hard work. Shayne and his dad milked cows by hand every morning and evening while Shayne was growing up. He also instilled in Shayne the value of using your mind to make a living instead of your hands with hard labor. He made sure Shayne went to college and got an education. Dana has been a great father-in-law. He's been extremely supportive of Shayne and I, and I've never questioned his desire to do whatever we needed to help our family. I know Shayne respects and loves him a lot.

I am so lucky to have such incredible men in my life!



2 comments:

Elder Quinn Kay Longhurst said...

Great Post! Love all the fun pictures. I really admire your dad. He is a good friend to my dad and he would do anything for him. You are very lucky to have such wonderful me in your life.

Valorie Johnston said...

I cannot believe how much your dad looks like Kade in that picture!... I loved all the pictures you picked out such meaning to all of them!... Darling post!