“The submission of one’s will is really the only uniquely personal thing we have to place on God’s altar. The many other things we ‘give’ … are actually the things He has already given or loaned to us.”
~Elder Neal A. Maxwell~

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Confirmation...

Phone call this morning: "Pepper, this is "Stan"(not his real name) from River City Academy (another type of alternative high school in our school district). I'm looking for a substitute. But...why didn't you apply for the half-time position we had posted here at the school? (He knows me from the Alternative High School, and knows I like to teach those types of students.)

Me: "I didn't know you had a position open.
Stan: Would you have applied if you had known?
Me: I don't know. What are the hours, what would I teach, what is the pay...etc..."


Shayne hadn't come home from work yet, he had a staff meeting. When I run it by him, he asks me what I want to do. He's that sort of awesome husband.

I'm seriously considering it, b/c I find I'm having a harder time than I thought with being a full-time mommy. I do miss teaching my students, and getting immediate reward for my work...being praised verbally and in their actions and school work. I miss getting dressed in nice clothes, and doing my hair and feeling pretty. I miss conversation. I think I'm in a bit of a funk and I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to climb out of it. Maybe this is the answer. Maybe.

Shayne & I talk for a bit. He asks me if it's worth it for the money and being back on a schedule. This conversation is taking place while our little Bug is toddling around the room, getting into the dog dishes, attempting to climb the stairs, dragging his toys all over the house, falling and hitting is head on a toy, etc. But every time he falls and he gets back up, he looks over at me and smiles the most heart warming smile you've ever seen.

Nope...not worth it.

After Shayne goes upstairs to sleep, Bug has had his breakfast, and I'm fixing mine...I pull out the new Ensign we got yesterday in the mail. I pull the plastic off, turn it over and you know what the cover story is? "The Influence of a Righteous Woman."

Confirmation of my decision? I think so.

So, my house is always a mess. My hair is never done. I'm always wearing scrubby clothes. I very seldom have adult conversations. But...I get to teach my little boy every day. I get to see him learn all sorts of new things. I get hugs, smiles, squeals, giggles, and looks of complete and udder adoration.

I know not every mother can stay home. Which is why I am so grateful for the opportunity I have to do so.

My Heavenly Father really does know who I am, and what I need...right when I need it.

5 comments:

Karen said...

Thanks Pepper! I have been missing teaching lately too...all the things you mentioned...your experience has helped! You are awesome. Motherhood is awesome, and I also feel very blessed to be able to stay home!

Trev "N" Dez said...

It is amazing how satan works to weaking us and allows for us to forget what is really important! It is amazing that we have so many tools to help remind us hu?

JPHOWARDFAMILY said...

Thank you. I want to quit working and worry about how I will feel. I know that being a mother is AWESOME!!

9 of Us said...

Anytime you think you miss working, just sub for a few of those snotty teenagers and that will cure you real quick.

Googs said...

What a great story, thanks for sharing, very inspirational!! That boy is a cutie. Ginger