“The submission of one’s will is really the only uniquely personal thing we have to place on God’s altar. The many other things we ‘give’ … are actually the things He has already given or loaned to us.”
~Elder Neal A. Maxwell~

Friday, September 25, 2009

My Root Beer Float

I got a bike! You may not think this is a big deal, but I have not had a bike of my own since I was in high school. I've been wanting a bike for while now, b/c I've wanted to get out and experience Alaska in a new way. So, Shayne finally took me to the local bike shop here in town to get me a new bike. My brand new bike is AWESOME!! It's a Trek hybrid bike. I am NOT a mountain biker. I know I am not a mountain biker, and I know I will never be a mountain biker. I have no desire to ride a bike up and down hills/mountains where you are in danger of killing yourself. No desire.

So, I got a bike I knew I would use and love. It's got the frame for mountain biking, and tires that can go "off-road", but it has raised handle bars, and the biggest fattest leather seat for comfort. Shayne thinks it looks like a "grandma" beach cruiser. Whateva! When I asked him if he wanted to take it for a spin the day we bought it, he quickly declined. In fact, he "affectionately" calls it the Root Beer Float...or the Root Beer Popsicle, b/c the color of it is called root beer. He's just jealous of my AWESOME BIKE!! Seriously...it's awesome.

I got the bike in the middle of June, but didn't get a chance to truly use it until August. On August 19th, we drove about an hour to a little town called Hope and rode a paved bike trail along the Sterling Highway. We rode for 7 miles one way, 14 round trip. Shayne pulled The Bug behind him in the Chariot. We had such a nice time. It was very casual. I will have you know that after 2+ hours and 14 miles, my butt didn't hurt hardly at all! It's b/c I have the biggest fattest leather seat! Shayne's was sore, but I wasn't. Who's got the coolest bike now?! Huh?! :)

After the ride we drove into the actual town of Hope and had a burger ( a seriously greasy burger), at a local restaurant there. It was an excellent burger...I gained back all the calories I had burned off on the ride...great huh? It was such a fun day. We were going to go back and do it again, but the weather didn't cooperate. Next year however, I have big plans for my Root Beer Float! :)


p.s. Notice the last pic? Yeah...I still have the bike helmet on, b/c I had a serious case of helmet hair...not pretty. But...even better is the fact I have a pic posted of Shayne w/o a hat! Never happens people...never!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Rob and Heather said...

I love your Root Beer bike. What a funny name. It looks beautiful up there in ALASKA