“The submission of one’s will is really the only uniquely personal thing we have to place on God’s altar. The many other things we ‘give’ … are actually the things He has already given or loaned to us.”
~Elder Neal A. Maxwell~

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Some More Shordyisms...

So, I haven't posted any of Shory's funny little stories this year, and I really need to b/c this kid is full of them.   So, here are some of his funny stories from January through March:

January Shordyisms:
He was very into defining who people where for awhile...whether they were kids or babies or moms or dads or grandma's or grandpas.  So, while walking up to the gym one day for a basketball game he sees a couple walking to the door just ahead of us and he says:  "Yook Mom, it's a mom & a dad!  It's a mom & a dad!!" (which he will repeat over and over and over and over again until I repeat it back to him.)  Then as he gets closer and they are opening the door for us, he notices they are older and he says, "Oh dey're not a mom and dad...dey're just a granma & a granpa."  I just smiled as they did and then they said, "Yup, we're just the grandma & grandpa coming to watch our grandson."  I'm glad they thought it was as cute as I did.  :)

I was doing something w/ Tiny, I think changing her diaper and she wasn't liking it (because she has to hold still for more than 20 seconds) so she was crying.  Shordy came over to me and says, "Oh mom, she's jus a baby after all.  She's not terrified.  She's jus a baby after all."  He said this in a tone of voice that was telling me I needed to stop making her cry.

One day he was full of his Shordyisms.  He was saying all kinds of funny things like:
~"Oh!  Dis making my dreams come true!"
~"He was singing a song he was making up and it was about Jesus and the Holy Ghost (he's a brand new Sunbeam at this point so something must be going in during Primary), and when I asked him about it he proceeded to tell me, "It's the Holy Ghost and He's a yight to make me feel safe, Mom."  How good does that make you feel?
~While playing with some of his blocks he proceeds to say, "I am an expert you know."  He gets this from Word World, one of his favorite PBS shows.  Frog always says, "I am an expert you know."  Then for the next month or so he would say while playing camping games, "I am a camping expert you know."
~Another one of his favorite PBS shows lately has been Dinosaur Train.  He is soaking up all kind of information about the dinosaurs.  So one day he's playing with some small toy dinosaurs he has and he comes up to me and says, "Yook Mom!  It's King!  He's a cryayofusaurus (chryalophosaurus?)!"  I was like, "What?!  Did you just say he was a cryalophasaurus?" Ya, he did.

February Shordyisms:
He was literally quoting the movies, "Cars" and "Brother Bear"...like full on dialog's between two different characters.  Pretty much word for word.  Amazing what this kids hears and remembers...we have to be super careful about what he watches on tv or movies that's for sure.

He was all about best friends for awhile and one day while we are all sitting on the floor hanging out and playing with each other he says: "Mom, Dad's your best friend and your Dad's best friend huh?  And I'm Zaydri's best friend and Zaydri's my best friend.  And Jesus is my best friend too!"  I hope all this is true forever and ever and ever.

One day he was mad at me for some reason...he couldn't play something the way he wanted to because I wouldn't let him (I don't remember the exact circumstances), but he looks at me and says, "I'n so upset!  I'n so upset!  I don wanna play anymore!!"  The way he kept saying he was so upset was pretty dang hilarious.  :)

He was talking about the Holy Ghost again, so I started asking him some questions about it and he tells me, "The Holy Ghost is a special light in my heart."  How cute is that?  I made sure the thank his Sunbeam teacher the following Sunday for what she is teaching him in Primary.  She's a new convert of just a few months and she started to cry when I thanked her, b/c she felt like sometimes those rowdy Sunbeams don't listen to a word she says.  I made sure she knew that Shordy, at least, was very much paying attention.

He has a hard time saying "Word World", one of his most favorite PBS shows...he says, "Woad Wowd" (It's impossible to truly spell it how he says it).  So, I've been trying to get him to pronounce his r's and l's...which he has a hard time with sometimes, l's more than r's.  So, when he asked to watch it one day I corrected him and said it correctly for him.  He then proceeded to tell me, "No, mom.  It's in Spanish."  In a very matter of fact tone.  He said this b/c his dad is always telling him the Spanish words for things and he tries to argue with his dad telling him that the Spanish word is wrong and only the English word is right. So, he frequently get's told..."No, it's in Spanish.  That's the word in Spanish."  Guess he thought he could use this excuse to pronounce the show wrong.  :)

One day he was playing with a frog and a donkey, just small toys he has.  Weird combo huh?  Anyway he says to me, "Mom this donkey tastes terrible.  He tase terrible.  The frog eats him. But is ok.  The frog will poop out the donkey."  I about fell over laughing.

He constantly mimics the things he hears on his PBS shows but he doesn't always hear the words right...maybe I should check his hearing?  Just kidding.  So he says:
It's Sheep's Hay Snack (Sheep's Hay Stack)
It's a Beehide (Beehive)
She took a catnat. (catnap)
or one of my favorites:  He'll run around with a character/animal/toy of some sort and yell, "Cannon Fall!!" (Cannon Ball)
And when I try and correct him, he insists that I'm wrong and he's right.  Oh well.

March Shordyisms:
He loves the firehouse and the firetrucks and ambulances he sees there pretty much ever time we drive by it in town.  One day as we were pulling out of the post office an ambulance drove by, but it's a red ambulance and his toy ones are white.  So he tells me it was a red firetruck.  When I told him it was an ambulance he proceeded to tell me, "No Mom.  Ambuyances are white!  Firetrucks are red!"  So, I then took time to tell him that this ambulance was red, and that ambulances are like big squares and firetrucks are big rectangles.  After that he notices the big red square ambulance and the big red rectangle firetrucks and tells me about them every time we see them.  He never messes them up now.

Shayne was counting something in Spanish with him one day and Shordy looked at him and says, "Your making me nervous Dad."

He's been playing this Mr. Pencil game on his Leapster Explorer and it teaches him all kinds of fun things.  One day he was standing right in front of me with his arms down by his side and he says, "Yook Mom!  I'n a vertical yine!  I'n a vertical yine!"  I just kinda laughed and said, "Yes you are!  Can you show me a horizontal line?  So the then proceeds to lay down on the ground and say, "Yook Mom!  Now I'n a horizontal line!"  Ummm...I had no idea what the difference between a vertical line and a horizontal line was until I was in high school, and even then I got them mixed up!

One day he was looking in a Seek And Find book with his Dad and there was a drawing of  fork on the page and when Shayne pointed it out and asked him what it was Shordy proceeded to say, "Ummm...I fink it yooks yike a dingle hopper."  From the "Little Mermaid".  Seriously?  He hasn't seen that show in months.

He was told he needed to put pj's on and instead looks at me and says, "Maybe we can watch a movie!"  I tell him now, he needs to put on pj's.  So he looks at me and says, "Well...maybe a Word World?"  I love his bargaining techniques.  He still didn't win.

Have I mentioned he loves Dinosaur Train on PBS?  In December he started up with this "I have a hypofosis" (hypothesis) line pretty frequently.  Then he was identifying King Cryolophasaurus.  Now he comes up to me and says, while holding another one of his small dinosaurs, "Yook Mom.  It's a died Allosaurus T-Rex.  He died million and millions of years ago in the M???? Time Period."  I tried to clarify what time period it was and I still can't understand him, but I know it starts with an "M".  He has since clarified that the T-Rex died in the Mesozoic Time Period, but is very insistent that the Allosaurus died in another time period that starts with an "M".  I'm thinking I'd better get myself educated on dinosaurs so I can keep up with this kid.

He threw a ball at his dad that he caught, so Shordy proceeded to tell him, "That was a good got Dad!  That was a good got!"

Playing with one of those dumb action figures you get at McDonald's in the Happy Meal, he's running around and saying, "He's Broccoli the Super Guy!"  I have no idea why he was broccoli the super guy.

K--I think this is all I have written down.  For awhile he had some funny phrase almost every day.  He is so dang hilarious!  He's also very perceptive and smart with the things he picks up.  We are very aware how careful we have to be with what we say and what we let him watch.  It's fun to see his little brain growing and developing.  He amazed us every day.

We are so glad he is in our home and we get to see him grow up.



1 comment:

Trev "N" Dez said...

He sounds exactly like Jayvin did. He loved all the pbs shows and word world was a favorite. He had such great vocabulary!! And his memory is amazing too!! I can teach him stuff so fast! But prepare yourself, your next may not be so easily taught. I use to think I was an awesome mom...nope just an awesome kid. Kinz refuses to learn right now!! So different!!!