“The submission of one’s will is really the only uniquely personal thing we have to place on God’s altar. The many other things we ‘give’ … are actually the things He has already given or loaned to us.”
~Elder Neal A. Maxwell~

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Shordyisms for 2012

So, I have been slowly catching up on 2012 and I realized that I posted all the pics, but I haven't posted all the funny little things Shordy says, but I have written them down.  I posted them up until March, but I need to post the rest of them.  I print a blog book for each year and use it as my journal, so I definitely need to post these, so I can share them with my kids when they get older.  I loved to read the things my mom wrote about me in her own journal.  So, here's the rest of Shordy's funny little stories for 2012:

April:

He was playing with a toy frog and he tells me that this frog is from South America.  Not sure where he learned that, but he was pretty adamant it was from South America.

He has complete dialogues with his "Cars" characters.  It's amazing his how he uses his imagination in his play...it's also amazing how all of his self-play/imagination is verbalized out loud...all. day. long.  :)

When asked to go to bed or do something he doesn't really want to do, he'll tip his head to the side, give you puppy dog eyes, and say, "Maybe we can watch a "Wood Would"...or something?"

When he's stuck, or has fallen down, he'll say, "A little help here Dad?"

He started saying his night time prayers all by himself this month.  He gets frustrated when he can't remember EVERYTHING we had him say when we were helping him and won't finish his prayers until he says it ALL.  So we are working on teaching him what it means to say prayers and that he doesn't have to remember everything and he can just talk to Heavenly Father and tell him what he feels like he should.  But...it's gonna be a process, b/c this boy is such a perfectionist.  I'm just proud he's saying them by himself.  :)

On my birthday he made my day when he shared his toast with his little sister all by himself...even without her asking.  He just walked up to her and asked if she wanted a piece of his toast.  Makes his Mamma proud.

May:

We went on a drive to Homer on Memorial Day and he and Dad went to look in the tide pools at the end of the Spit and he kept saying, "Mom!  We're gonna look for some sea creatures!"

June:

If he really wants something he says, "Please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please."  Or..."A little help here please!"

He started to count in Spanish.  He can count to 4 really well...getting to 10 is questionable.  :)

When told he needs to pick up his toys he says, "My tummy aches.  It hurts.  So, you need to help me pick up my toys."  Or he would say..."My tummy hurts.  It says I need to watch a movie."

I was busy in the kitchen one day, but over heard him playing with a stuffed dog.  I stopped to watch for a second and watched him tell his dog he hadn't been nice, then he proceeded to put him in time-out on the bottom step (my time out spot for both kids) and then use the timer and tell him he had to stay in time out until the timer beeped.  :)

We were driving in the car and while he's playing with a McDonald's toy,  I over hear him say..."I'm a stinky beaver!"  I just laughed and started asking questions about why he would say, "Stinky beaver" and FINALLY figured out he was quoting a line from "Cars" where Lightening McQueen says, "Float like a Cadillac.  Sting like a Beamer"  Instead of hearing/saying "Sting like a Beamer"...he thought it said, "Stinky Beaver."  Shayne and I laughed about this for a LONG time...and he continued to say it all year.  Even with clarification.  Every once in awhile we would hear the line, "Stinky Beaver"...and just laugh.  :)  Probably one of my favorite lines ALL YEAR!

We were outside one day at a playground and he sees these ants on the ground and begins to inspect them.  He then informed me quite matter-of-factly that these were baby ants with diapers.  :)  Not sure why he thought they had diapers, but he was pretty sure they were baby ants with diapers.

July:

He calls mosquitoes, "Mozzy flies".  He gets this from his Dad.  In Australia they call mosquitoes, Mozzies.  So, to Shordy they were Mozzy flies.  :)

September:

He loves Dinosaur Train, so this next thing he said while playing came from this PBS show.  He was playing, not sure what exactly, but I over hear him say, "Let's go see a mystery---dun dun dun."

He came up to me with some of the foam letters from the foam mat on the floor, and he proceeds to ask me if I want some "Hotton' Candy".  He tried cotton candy for the first time in Idaho, so he was all about it, but thought it was called, "hotton candy" and REFUSED to listen to me when I tried to correct him.  So, in our house, it's "hotton candy".  :)

I don't remember why he said this next line...I must have showed him something or given him something but his response was, "That's spectacular Mom!"  Doesn't that just make you feel good?!  And what almost-4-year-old uses the word, spectacular?

October:

They are both sleeping in the same room, and if Tiny wakes up first and is crying I can hear him say over and over and over and over and over again, "I'm right here!  Stop crying!  Did you hear me?!  I'm right here!  Stop crying!"

I made him a Superman/Batman reversible cape for Halloween and the first day I finished it he wore it all over and proceeded to jump of my couches ALL. DAY. LONG.  :)

November:

He started swimming all over the place with his water wings which is a first for him.  He has always been a little bit scared of the water and hates it in his face and ears, but we went to a conference with Shayne in Girdwood and there was a pool at the hotel and he LOVED swimming on his own with his water wings.  I was so glad he was doing it too.

He had an old cell phone we let the kids play with one day and we proceeded to have this conversation, "Mom, sing your song loud."  (I'm not sure what song I was singing)  Then he pretends to talk on the phone and then stops and says to me, "Sssshhhhh!  Be quiest!  I'm on the phone!!"  Hmmm...he hasn't heard this before has he?!  :)

We were headed to town and I asked him to put on his coat.  He brought it to me and says, "Mom, my coat is being grumpy, I can't put it on!"  When I looked at his coat his sleeves were inside-out because of how he had taken it off previously.  So, now every time his sleeves are inside out he tells us his coat is being "grumpy".  I have to agree...seems like a grumpy sort of thing.  :)

I've been teaching him to read in the last couple of months and I was so pleasantly surprised when he was eating a box of Dots from Halloween, and he proceeds to say, "Mom!  It says, 'Dots!'".  Yeah for him!!!

After this last incident I found him often attempting to sound out words he would see on his toys or stuff in the house.  How awesome is that?!  His world is just completely opening up!

One day he's in the kitchen and he does this little spin move and says, "I'm a Rock Star!"

I hear him say, "P. I. E.  Mom!  That spells pie!"  A couple of days later he finger spells with ASL, "B-A-B-Y and M-O-M and says "Baby has 2 B's and Mom and 2 M's."  He figured out how to spell them from the Signing Time ABC's video we had been watching while driving in the car.

He was noticing how his position changes the sizes of things...depth perception.  Anyway he says, "Look Mom.  The words get smaller when I get bigger"  He then stands up and looks down at some letters he has on the floor.  "See...they get smaller"

He had this whole conversation with his Dad one day after he saw some pics of when he was born...like of the actual C-section.  "I was in Mom's tummy and she went to the hospital where they cut mom open and pulled me out."  When asked who pulled him out he said, "Doc cut me out".  It was a pretty detailed conversation.  :)

He started making up non-sense words this month.  Like calling random things, "Contin" or "Trentin".  He would name toys this or build things with his legos and call them these nonsense words.  Pretty funny.

To his Dad one day when he was trying to do something, "Sure you can do it Dad.  Just need to believe in yourself."  How cute is that?

December:

We had this conversation one day, and I'm not exactly what triggered it other than talking about why the sun didn't come up for very long in Alaska in December.  So he says, "Jesus and Heavenly Father don't live in Idaho.  They live in Alaska and they use their hands to push the sun down to Idaho.  The sun takes a long nap."  I loved his very logical thinking.  It was a very concrete way of explaining why there was more sun in Idaho and than Alaska...and since Jesus and Heavenly Father are in charge of that stuff, that must be the explanation.  :)

I focused very much on how Christmas was about celebrating Jesus' birthday.  We removed most of Santa from our Christmas celebration.  So, on Christmas night after a day of fun presents and good food, we started to get kids ready for bed.  But, Shordy was adamant and upset to the point of crying that Christmas wasn't over yet, b/c he hadn't seen Jesus for His birthday.  He was determined Christmas wasn't over b/c we didn't actually see Jesus to wish him a Happy Birthday.  I though it was so cute he would feel like this, and I'm determined to keep that feeling in our home, but explain that the things we do leading up to Christmas and the Christmas story we read are all in celebration of Jesus' birthday.

He says to me one day, "The flute is going around in my belly.  I need vitamins."  :)  There had been a stomach flu going around and he must have heard me talk about it to a friend or Shayne.  And, they love to take their vitamins so he was looking for an extra excuse to take more vitamins.  :)

Ok...that's all my Shordyisms and stories about our sweet Shordy boy for 2012.  He is such a thinker and great imaginer.  He is very aware of his surroundings and incorporates everything he hears and sees into his everyday play and questions.  We love his inquisitive mind and love the way he entertains us every day.

Love this sweet boy!!

No comments: