It was an adventure...to say the least.
I'm so glad I have a really good 2 (almost 3) year old, b/c this could have been much more stressful than it was. Mostly it was entertaining...I laughed at most of the stuff I had to deal with.
The worst part was security. It's a PAIN to take shoes and jackets/blankets off of everyone, put all the crap you have to have with 2 kids on the scanner belt (I seriously had 3 bins, 2 backpacks, a baby bjorn, and a stroller), get your 2 year old to walk through the metal detector by himself, get to the other side and put it all back together while holding your not yet 3 month old. Needless to say, people were avoiding my security line like the plague! :) But...after I got through security it wasn't too bad.
I must have looked ridiculous, b/c I had all sorts of people giving my funny/sympathetic looks the whole day. I had a huge backpack on my back, a baby bjorn with Sweet Pea on the front, and a kid in a stroller with his backpack of "stuff" hanging off that.
There were really only two funny stories I must write down to remind myself that this was kind of a funny adventure.
The first was on the airplane flying to Seattle. I had The Bug in a pull-up just to make things easier, but during the flight he told me he needed to pee. I didn't want to tell him to just pee in his pull-up so I attempted to take him to the bathroom. The flight attendants were busy with the beverage cart, the guy across from me had 2 young daughters and could barely speak English, and the others around me were either old and sleeping, or young and sleeping...so I had to take Sweet Pea with me to the bathroom. Have you seen the size an airplane bathroom? Did you know they are one of the dirtiest places EVER? Not an exaggeration...they really are. I now know why.
So I get Bug into the bathroom with Sweet Pea in my left arm. He can't pull down his pull-up so I have to wedge myself down low enough to get his pants down...which is not easy when there isn't room to turn around when you are by yourself. So, I finally get his pants down, but he's not quite tall enough to get above the toilet seat to pee. I'm trying to lift him up onto my feet with one hand, but he has to pee so bad he starts peeing before I can get him high enough so he starts peeing all over the toilet and around it and on the floor...pretty much everywhere! So, I telling him to stop (but who can stop once they've started, especially when you're 2), and trying desperately to lift him up and finally just lift him by his arm and let him hang there while he pees. Now, I've got to try and clean up the mess...after bending down again to pull his pants up with one hand. So, I get some tissue and wipe the seat and surrounding area. That was easy. But the floor is another matter. I drop some tissue on the floor and start wiping it up with my foot, but then realize I can't bend down to pick it up! I manage to get it wedged up the side of the wall high enough to grab it with my hands and get it in the trash. I manage to wash my one hand (b/c the other one never left Sweet Pea so at least it's still clean) and as we are walking out of that microscopic bathroom I'm thinking to myself, "Huh...so that's why airplane bathrooms are the dirtiest places EVER!"
The Bug was awesome on the plane ride...and so was Sweet Pea. They both slept quite a bit. He loved taking off and landing...thought they were hilarious. So being on the planes were way easier than the rest.
The other funny story took place in the Seattle airport. We got off the plane, and I had finally gotten something good to eat and had found a nice place where he could run around a bit and play while I ate my food. But, as soon as I got everything unloaded (the backpack, and the baby), and started to eat, he starts running around in the funny little way he does when he has to poop. So, I'm seeing this and know he's gonna have to go very soon so I start to scarf down my burrito. I'm seriously inhaling this burrito when he runs over to me and yells, "Mom, I needa poop! Come on mom! I needa poop!" He says this with a bunch of people sitting the the same area we are, and they are just kinda laughing and smiling as my 2 year old is running around and around me telling me he has to poop. So...I swallow (w/o chewing) the rest of my burrito, put on my backpack, put on the baby bjorn, load up the baby, get him in the stroller and head for the bathroom. But...as soon as I get him out and on the toilet he tells me he doesn't have to go anymore. Ya...lovely huh? However, I was not leaving that large/handicapped bathroom stall (b/c we couldn't have fit into a regular one) until he's done his business. So, we sat there for 5-10 minutes until he had done what he needed to and we could leave.
After that things were smooth sailing! The pics are from the Seattle airport. He was able to play with some toys, run around a bit, and she was able to lay down and stretch out and take a little nap.
So, while the trip by myself with two kids wasn't too bad...it's WAY easier with Shayne. Hope I don't have to do that again anytime soon.
Sorry this post was so long...but these stories were too funny to not share...and to write down to read later and laugh.
Watching the airplanes
He seriously loves his baby sister. He very frequently wants to give her kisses and hugs.
No comments:
Post a Comment