I mentioned in an earlier post The Bug had started acting stuffy on the airplane into Kauai. He continued to develop a cold and had even started to sound croupy, or had strider...as Shayne the ER nurse says. Anyway, we put him to bed Thursday night and woke up about 2am to the sound of The Bug having a febrile seizure in his bed. He had gotten a fever and it had spiked to over 104 during the night, causing the seizure. Shayne used to get these when he was a baby and had a high fever.
Anyway, we immediately gave him tylenol and ibuprofen, stripped him down to nothing, and put cold wash cloths on him. We woke up my mom & dad, and he and Shayne gave him a blessing. The seizure didn't last long, maybe a minute or two...but it was very traumatizing for me. I was so glad I had Shayne there to make sure he was ok. His fever started to come down pretty quickly, and I ended up sleeping with him on my chest for the rest of the night, so he could breathe better and I could sleep knowing he was ok.
We called our Doc the next day and he suggested taking him to the ER just to be evaluated and make sure the strider in his chest wasn't anything more than a croupy cold. So, off to the ER in Lihue we went. Minus his cold, everything checked out just fine. He had x-rays of his chest and a nebulizer breathing treatment and we were done. It's funny how the most traumatizing thing for me, the seizure, was no big deal for the docs. They knew it was caused by the fever, so it wasn't a huge concern. Which was nice to know. The Dr. was very cool, and thought The Bug was adorable. He and some other nurses and techs gave me suggestions for getting rid of the congestion in his chest since there wasn't any where with cool air we could take him. They told us the ocean breeze from the beach was the best thing for congestion. So, every morning when The Bug was waking up at 6:30 my mom would come in and get him and take him for a walk on the beach. It was amazing how much it helped. He still had a cold and continued to run a low-grade fever, so we kept him on ibuprofen. But, he was still a pretty happy little boy for the rest of the trip, considering he probably didn't feel real hot.
While Shayne & I were in the ER, my mom and dad went snorkeling to Lydgate State Park (we didn't want them to have to sit in the Er lobby for who knows how long, so we told them to leave). My mom and I had gone the night before, and she loved it. They came and picked us up and we then went for a drive to the West Shore up Waimea Canyon. We stopped in Waimea at Jo-Jo's Shave Ice. It is THE BEST shave ice on the island...it was incredible!! The canyon has some nice views as well. It was getting dark when we reached the top, so we decided we would come back on Sunday to take some better pics.
I give Shayne a hard time b/c when we take pics together, he likes to lean on me. I hate when he does this...it always looks like I have to hold him up. :) So, he purposely leaning on me to give me a hard time. Gotta love the teasing! :)

2 comments:
Glad the Bug is feeling better! How horrible! It is GREAT to have somone in the family who can calm us mammas down!!!!
I didn't know there was all that drama. I'm glad he's doing better. Loved the pictures at Jo Jo's - we went there numerous times, sometimes totally out of our way. So yummy!
Post a Comment