“The submission of one’s will is really the only uniquely personal thing we have to place on God’s altar. The many other things we ‘give’ … are actually the things He has already given or loaned to us.”
~Elder Neal A. Maxwell~

Friday, December 4, 2009

Oh Tannenbaum













I love putting up the Christmas Tree. I used to be the one helping my mom every year. In fact, even after I moved out of the house, I would be the one getting everything out, putting up the lights and all that junk after Thanksgiving. I truly love the Christmas season...wrapping presents, putting up Christmas decorations, the Christmas tree, listening to Christmas music...the whole she-bang.

I have, however, married The Grinch.

I insisted on cutting down a tree the first year we were married. It was a "Charlie Brown Tree", but that's what makes them so beautiful.

The second year, I was in Idaho for a sister's wedding...I flew back to Alaska on Christmas day. So...I didn't put up a "Christmas" tree. I just decorated those little decorative pine trees I already had in the house.

The third year Shayne worked Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and the day after Christmas. So...I didn't put up a tree again. I was lacking in Christmas spirit, b/c I spent most of it by myself.

The fourth year I was in Idaho for 2 weeks in December. I was supposed to fly back on the 23rd, but got stuck in Idaho b/c of a massive snow storm. So, I didn't get home until late on the 27th. So, we didn't put a tree up last year either.

BUT...this year I was staying home and putting up a Christmas Tree!! And I was putting it up the day after Thanksgiving. The Grinch was NOT excited. The Bug was...after it was up anyway.

We got a fake tree last year in the after Christmas sales, and it was perfect for our little house. It wasn't too tall or big...it was just right. I had keep the ornaments about 18 inches from the bottom...and I'm sure you'll never know why! :) But, I thought it was the most beautiful Christmas tree ever....that's what you think when you haven't put one up for 3 years!

The Bug thought it was pretty cool. He was curious about it and the "stuff" on it for a couple of days, but after that he pretty much left it alone.

Our ornaments are a collection of snowmen and then different ornaments from each of the places we've gone on vacation. We also added about4 new ones this year...all fishing themed(minus the Yankee's ornament...yes, we are a Yankee's home...Go Yankee's!!). I figure I do what I can to appease The Grinch to make the whole Christmas season a little more bearable for him. I do make sure they are tasteful ornaments...nothing cheesy for me. The Bug also gets a new ornament each year from his Grammy Jo. Granted this is only his 2nd Christmas, but I think it's a fun tradition.

I'm so excited to be starting new traditions in our own home with our family. When it's just two of you and one of you has been gone for most of your Christmas', it's hard to start any sort of tradition.

So...here's to starting family traditions!!

1 comment:

Trev "N" Dez said...

How is is that all four of us sisters married the grinch????