“The submission of one’s will is really the only uniquely personal thing we have to place on God’s altar. The many other things we ‘give’ … are actually the things He has already given or loaned to us.”
~Elder Neal A. Maxwell~

Monday, August 24, 2009

Landmark Gap

On Friday, July 10th, we went on a hike off the Denali Hwy. We hiked to a lake called Landmark Gap. You can see why it's called Landmark Gap. It's actually the place where a huge herd of Caribou migrate through. It's literally a gap between two mountains with a lake in the middle of it. The hike was about 3 miles one way, but was easy. It's on a dirt road that is driveable, but you need to have a lifted vehicle to get through some places with large boulders. Shayne decided he'd rather have us walk and know that our vehicle would not get damaged so we could rive home. I had to agree with him. :)

Of course we fished the creek that flows out of the lake. I didn't catch anything here, I did a little further down. Shayne caught quite a few fish here, and had fun doing it. One if his favorite fish he caught while skating a dry fly across the water over top of a fish he was sight casting to.

The lake was beautiful. The view itself was pretty incredible. You could see the snow covered mountains through the gap, and could actually see some glaciers as well. It was a nice day with the sun shining and a slight breeze to keep us cool and the bugs at bay.

This was our last day of camping. The night at Tangle Lakes was our last night of camping in the tent. It was probably Lachlan's worst night of sleeping. The wind was blowing pretty hard and whipping the tent, making lound sounds I'm sure kept him awake. It was a long night for me, but the other nights hadn't been too bad, so I couldn't complain too much. It was a pretty cool place to camp, but a much more barren campground. It's definitely more tundra than the lower part of Alaska. When Shayne got up in the morning to take the dogs out, he nearly ran into a Moose cow and her two calves wandering around the camp ground. One of those cool things about Alaska. :) Thankfully, we never saw any bears.

I have one more post and then I'm done sharing our fun camping adventure!! I'l post some recent pics of Lach after that, and then continue documenting our summer.




Posted by Picasa

No comments: